Genius Games is Hiring - Operations Manager
Genius Games is looking for an Operations Manager. We want someone who wants to work in a tight-knit group, someone who enjoys working in high energy environments, wants their work to truly matter, wants to have fun along the way.
This position is suited for someone who loves solving challenging puzzles, is highly self-directed, highly organized, has a very high standard for her/himself but is also not afraid to make mistakes along the way, and thrives when giving and receiving feedback about how they and the company can continually improve.
This person is not averse to risk, and most importantly wants to use their skills to personally and directly help drive the growth of a small company. The Operations Manager role is critical for Genius Games, and the input, contributions and decisions made by this person will be extremely important to the success of our company. If you’re just looking for another job, this position isn’t for you.
If you don't really want to be a critical part of a team and company, and if you don't love working your rear off to see that team and company grow, then this isn't the job for you.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
During your time at Genius Games, you will be responsible for:
- Working with our manufacturers on scheduling, pricing, quantities, etc.
- Working with our shipping and international freight companies on quoting and scheduling the shipments of our product.
- Working with our warehouse and fulfillment center on scheduling shipments, storage fees, shipping fees, and managing inventory levels.
- Acting as our internal team liaison ensuring effective communication between all arms of the company including product design, operations, accounting and sales.
- Processing Purchase Orders (POs) by creating and sending invoices in Quickbooks Online when our business customers order our product.
- Uploading Bills from our vendors in Quickbooks Online and paying those bills.
- Keeping our Shopify websites up-to-date with inventory, pricing and product info and news.
- Keeping our Amazon pages up-to-date through Seller Central with inventory, pricing and product info and news.
- Calculating royalties to our designer, creating royalty statements, and uploading them to Quickbooks to pay our designers.
- Editing licensing contracts for licensing new games into the Genius Games brand
- Editing foreign licensing contracts for licensing Genius Games products into foreign languages from foreign publishers
- Using Excel to create estimates and projections for product pricing, product reprints, cost models, etc.
- Working with our banks to handle multiple bank accounts, credits cards and lines of credit on behalf of Genius Games
- Projecting product sales at trade shows and conventions
- Handling paperwork for new employees
- Updating and submitting payroll bimonthly
- Working with our team to set production timelines and helping the team stay on schedule
- Writing/compiling any necessary process documents
- Convention support (packing company booth supplies, setting up the Genius Games booth, demoing games, traveling to conventions around the US and well as a few internationally).
- Writing the Genius Games monthly newsletter
- Keeping the office stocked with the necessary supplies
- LOTS of playtesting Genius Games prototypes
Location and Travel Responsibilities: This position will require the individual to work in our office in St. Louis, MO mostly, with some remote work weekly. This position will ultimately require travel to US and international game conventions once these conventions are in person again.
QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS
Highly proficient in Spreadsheets (Excel and Google Sheets) - Mandatory
- Highly proficient in math, logic and analytic problem solving - Mandatory
- Proficient in Google Drive with high level of organization
- Proficient in Quickbooks Online - Preferable but can learn on the job
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor's Degree is preferred but not required
- Any experience in product manufacturing is a plus
- Any experience in managing projects and timelines is a plus
- Any experience leading or working within a team is a plus
- Any experience with Shopify is a plus
- Any experience with Amazon Seller Central is a plus
- Any experience in the Hobby Board Game Industry is a plus
- You go out of your way to get feedback from others, because you love making amazing things more than you want to protect your ego or pride.
- You’re self-directed and don’t need hand holding or reminders to get things done
- You’re high achieving and love delivering excellent work
- You’re humble and listen to feedback about how you can improve
- You don’t make excuses when you make mistakes
- You pride yourself in always delivering high quality work
- You’re highly organized, consistent and precise (for example in the way you name files even when no one else will see how you’ve named them)
- You’re not afraid to admit what you don’t know something and eager to use Google or YouTube to teach yourself anything you need to master
- You enjoy the challenge of solving complicated but meaningful problems
- You’re excited by science and the natural world
This can start as either a part-time or full time position located in St. Louis, Missouri. Compensation for this position will start at $36,000 to $42,000 for full time (or $16 to $20 per hour for part-time) commensurate on education and experience. The intention for this postition is to progress into our full-time Director of Operations at a compensation in the $50k to $80k range overtime with more strategically focused responsibilities.
After one year of employment this position will be additionally compensated with quarterly discretionary bonuses based upon performance and company profits. This position currently offers no healthcare or 401K benefits, but as the company grows, benefits are part of our plan moving forward for employees.
ABOUT GENIUS GAMES
We believe science is fascinating and should be a joy to learn. We believe that hobby games are not just fun, but a healthy activity to promote social skills and learn about the world we live in.
With that in mind our focus is on:
- Accurate science products that engage, educate and inspire.
We specialize in publishing board games, card games, jigsaw puzzles, children’s books and many other types of interactive games and activities, but with a twist - everything published by Genius Games is accurately themed around science! The company has been featured in a number of major media outlets such as Popular Science Magazine, Scientific American, Gizmodo and many more. We’ve been growing at a tremendous rate every year since we’ve been in business, and the hobby board game industry as a whole is booming.
GENIUS GAMES - CORE VALUES
As a member of the Genius Games team, you are expected to embody the core values of the company. These core value are what we as a team hire and fire by:
Self-directed high achievement: Taking responsibility for yourself and taking the initiative to do what needs to be done without having to be instructed step-by-step.
Always improving: Seeking to become a more knowledgeable, skillful, insightful and healthy individual, both on and off the job, is key to my success as part of our team.
Own The Outcome: I see my work through to the end, delivery results that are a reflection of who I am and what I believe is my level of competency. When things go wrong, I accept responsibility and work to make them excellent.
Feedback driven: Quality comes from zealously seeking feedback and criticism from multiple perspectives, listening in order to understand how we can improve, and then judiciously applying those insights to produce amazing results.
Candid and compassionate: Always being forthright, empathetic, and sincere because people are the most important resource we have. Treat each other with kindness and respect, especially during conflict.
To apply, please click the following link to fill out the Application for Genius Games Operations Manager.
Next Steps, once we receive your initial email, we will send a series of online assessements to evaluate if your skills and background are a good fit for this position.